Social Networking Sites and Teenyboppers

 Listen, I don't have my own children, but I have multiple nieces and nephews (some blood, some not), not to mention the band of 10 and 11-year-olds I teach every year. I thought of them all as I read the article "Actually, I Wanted to Learn": study related knowledge exchange on social networking sites. 

I mean, my first thought when I see them (these "children" of mine) with their heads hunched over into their cellphones is not "WOW! She/he must really be learning about something interesting!" 😏

OK - so my niece, niece - SHE is about to go to Embry Riddle for aeronautical engineering, so MAYBE she is actually reading something she could learn from, but I've seen her Insta and her Snap Chat so I am weary, even of her....but I digress.......

I call all of these children "teenyboppers". lol

The article highlights the use of a social networking site in Germany called StudiVZ. The way I understood it, it is a Facebook-like site, but is more geared towards college students. So, your profile may have your major, what year your in, etc. A study was done to find out if, in fact, young adults actually use SNSs for academic purposes, on even a small level. 

Basically, yes. but not as much as you would think, and not as frequently as you would think. In fact the author's referred to freshman as "freshers" - which made me giggle a little, and they determined the younger "freshers" seemed to use the site more frequently for informal learning, or exchange of academic information. Which makes sense.

So - how many of you utilize the ISLT Facebook group? I am in it, but I don't really think of that space as my first go-to when I need information. I think I am in a few things from Canvas, but really don't know how or when to use them. I know we are using a lot of tools for this class, so I am curious if eventually I will gravitate to one over the other for informal learning experiences......  

  Wodzicki, Schwämmlein, E., & Moskaliuk, J. (2012). “Actually, I Wanted to Learn”: Study-related knowledge exchange on social networking sites. The Internet and Higher Education, 15(1), 9–14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iheduc.2011.05.008



Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish the Facebook ISLT site was more active.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can you not read a blog that has the word Teenyboppers in the title? Because I am older I do not always gravitate towards social media to find the answers to all of life's problems. I think my generation was much more about doing some research and figuring it out. Young people seem like they want to crowdsource everything. They want to know what other people think they should do or how other people feel about their decisions (think reddit am I the a*****e). I don't know which is better but my inclination is that we need to meet somewhere in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am I the teenybopper?? Jk I think I'm an inbetweener. It depends on what I'm trying to look up. There is certain things I like to crowdsource for and others I need some solid research. I will say, I never did so much research for something until I had children and then needed to look up everything to figure out what the heck I was doing... I think I could be certified lactation consultant at this point with the amount of research/Facebook group searching I've done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - no way. Teenybopper is just a stage....like 12 - 22, let's say. I made that up.....but that's what I consider a teenybopper. LOL

      Delete

Post a Comment