You down with OPP?


Shout out to the 80's/90's kids who know what that means - and anyone else who has working knowledge of old school hip hop.😉

In the case of digital artifacts from online coursework, I hope not. I would never use any of my classmates posts or writings on any of the social media sites or in the Canvas LMS after we conclude eme6414 and I made the assumption that no one else would either. When it comes to intellectual property when you are participating in an online course (as the student OR as the teacher) it can be a slippery slope.  Additionally, what you think is intellectual property may not be. For example, having a conversation in person while sharing ideas, NOT protected. Write an elaborate post on a discussion board - could be considered intellectual property because of its tangible nature (Dennen, 2016). I am under no illusion that my contributions this first semester in grad school are unique, or even interesting to anyone but me. BUT, they are mine and I would have  problem with someone using my musings as their own.

Additionally, who has access to our musings? While teaching (elementary) online, it was my belief that "what happens on Canvas, stays on Canvas". Again, I was teaching elementary, so while I assume that my students were protected because they were using a school issued Chromebook and logging into their single sign on they were "safe" perhaps, not as much as I thought so. I used Classkick, which was an online tool that was outside of their single sign on. Who had access to that? I did dig very deep, as we were all drowning that year and I just needed tools to help me teach. 

As a teacher, I find that either we are sharers, or we are not. Some people are very protective when it comes to the lessons they create in the elementary world. Others, like me? Not so much. I freely give and ask for no recognition in return, and maybe that is not the best idea. Some teachers go as far as making a Teachers Pay Teachers account and sell their lessons. I will share that when a teacher presents a lesson that I shared with them, gets a compliment, and then does not at least mention my name or give me a little credit, it stings just a tad. My experience is NOT on the collegiate level, but I can see where putting in all that work to develop a course map, gather resources, etc. and then having someone else swoop in and use it without even giving you credit would be downright hurtful, in my opinion.  I had a teammate once who tagged his work to make sure everyone knew WHO wrote that lesson. I always rolled my eyes at that notion and now I'm like.....wait.....maybe he was on to something. 


  Dennen. (2016). Ownership of Digital Course Artifacts: Who Can Access and Use Your Words, Images, Sounds, and Clicks? Quarterly Review of Distance Education, 17(4), 5–.


P.S. I just realized there was a spot to put a title on my blog posts. 👀

 


Comments

  1. Yeah you know me! Sorry I had to do it! Now on to your post. It makes me mad when someone takes my ideas and uses them without giving me credit. I wasn't always at this place. I am as you put it a sharer. My instinct as a teacher is that we are all in this together, but when someone else uses your stuff for profit (either monetary or professional) it's important to say something. I work hard to develop engaging lessons that are beneficial to my kids. That deserves recognition. As educators we need to stop short changing ourselves and downplaying our work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think learning to speak up is the key for me. I am definitely a people pleaser and hate confrontation. Having a conversation like that with someone makes me uncomfortable, but also, I recognize the need for me to address this if it happens in the future.

      Delete
  2. I totally relate here. I am the free giver of all of my knowledge and expertise (which isn't all that much - haha). But, when others need help or want to borrow a lesson or template or whatever, I am totally willing to share. However, I think you're right that when we don't speak up and defend ourselves, it just gives people the notion that we maybe don't care about the work they are taking credit for. It will be interesting to see how big of an issue giving attribution will become in the education world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - speaking up is definitely a challenge for me.

      Delete

Post a Comment