Worlds Collide: Instructional Design v. Social Media Lessons
Whelp, it finally happened. The two courses I am taking this summer connected. I knew they would eventually, for me. Maybe it should of happened sooner, but alas, we all learn at our own pace, right?
I am taking Introduction to
Instructional Systems along with eme6414 this summer and I JUST turned in my
rendition of an instructional model. While reading the manuscript in progress
by Dr. Dennen I made many, MANY connections. Not only between my two courses,
but also my current teaching position. When constructing my own, personal,
"perfect" ID model I kept thinking about all of the unexpected things
that happen when planning a lesson - much like Dr. Dennen discussed in her
draft. Everything always looks good on paper........then you implement, and all
hell breaks loose. Here is an example:
I was a hybrid
teacher the 2020-2021 school year. That is, I was teaching about 25 kids in
person and about 16 kids online. At first, I tried to do both at the same
time – 100% FAIL. So, my partner and I decided to combine all of the kids at
school and teach them “regular style” – don’t laugh, that’s literally what we
called it. While one of us taught the in-house kiddos, the other taught the
digital kiddos and then we switch. Easy enough, right? Not really. We DID not
have the in-house kids do the exact same thing our online friends did. We had
to design lessons for our online kids that mirrored our in-house lessons as
closely as we could, but also include some online tools for them to access the
content. The online kids needed EXPLICIT directions, daily. Even when listing
them on the page as
1. Do this
2. Do that
3. Now this
4. CLICK HERE
They are ten, so even the most
explicit directions fall to the wayside and randomly clicking things is the
M.O. for 5th graders, in case you didn’t know.
My point is, Dr. Dennen’s
emphasis on being flexible really resonated with me. When incorporating online
tools on any level, you must be extremely flexible with your expectations. A
lot of time, things happen that are out of your control and sometimes the best
made (lesson) plan falls short of your expectations and that is OK. It is more
than ok. Keeping an open line of communication and giving your learners options
can help you to incorporate online tools successfully. Also, ALWAYS, always,
test out your lesson – beginning to end – as the student. I have found that
when I do this, I notice small mistakes or things that may be confusing to my
tiny learners.
Totally relate here on some level, as I did all digital students during the 20-21 school year. My expectations were SO high at the beginning and it was a little defeating to realize that I had maybe set them too high. When I brought them down a smidge and was a little more flexible, I realized that my students were going to be much more successful! What a wild year that was 😂
ReplyDeleteIndeed - a crazy year. Then this past year, everyone wanted to act like things were normal - like some of these kids didn't just come to school for over a year. I could write a book.....WE could write a book. lol
DeleteSo much yes to flexibility, beta testing, and continuous improvement!
ReplyDelete