Diigo, Tags and bookmarking….oh my…
I decided to read the article about Diigo because I have
seen it mentioned in our class quite a few times. I have never heard of it, or
heard anyone speak of using it, so I thought I would see what it is all about. After
reading, I promptly joined Diigo and attempted to join the group, when our
internet went out. ☹So here I am typing my blog post on a word document
until the Internet comes back up and I can properly play around in our eme6414
group on Diigo.
The research article followed students in an online course
over the course of 6 weeks. The class was to use Diigo to bookmark relevant
material to the course. Upon bookmarking, from what I can gather, you tag the
shared resource so it is easily located, and one can use the tag to decide if
they would like to interact with the resource. Again, I am flying blind, so my
only knowledge of Diigo is what I just read, because - stupid internet (I’d like to point out that my
cable is out too, but I’m not watching TV right now, am I?). ☹
What I found interesting were the types of student interactions
while using Diigo. I quickly found myself comparing myself to these students.
When I finally get access to Diigo, what kind of student will I be? Will I be
posting resources for others, or am I more of a commentor? I am pretty certain
of the latter. I am not the best on finding interesting things online. But I
can recognize when something interesting is found and I can definitely comment
my thanks and perspective. The article calls this level of participants “active
commenters”. I can identify with that. Not only in my “school space”, but in
most of my social media, I comment significantly more than I post, and when I
do post, at least in my opinion, what I have to share is important and
relevant.
I am looking forward to interacting with Diigo and giving it
a try….who knows, maybe I’ll even try to be an “active sharer”.
I enjoy reading your posts and can relate to your frustration with internet issues. We have had several outages during the last few weeks, ever since they sent us an "upgraded" modem. I also have never heard of Diigo and am interested in learning more about the potential of interacting with it as either a commentator to an active sharer.
ReplyDelete