Crowd Sourcing in the Classroom
While reading "Crowdsourcing and Self-Instruction: Turning the Production of Teaching Materials Into a Learning Objective" I found myself having several instances within the text that I could relate to in my own classroom. I do not teach college like the author, however, I do teach 5th grade ELA and as part of the learning standards for those students, I have to teach them how to "integrate knowledge". In my classroom, this means, to read multiple texts (articles, stories, websites, etc.) and then to answer a question or questions using the information they read. This is a hard skill to develop, AND to teach fifth graders - trust me. I liked how this author considered this "integration of knowledge" as crowdsourcing. In this case, having the students research different countries to develop a timeline of significant events for a number of Latin American countries.
When you have several people read the same information to generate an answer, you will get several interpretations of the information because of the many influences on perception. I like the idea of students gathering the information and then coming together to develop a consistent answer that everyone agrees on and feels a part of. This doesn't always happen in my classroom, because they are 10. 😅 I like this classification and explanation of crowdsourcing.
I also enjoyed reading and watching the videos about curating content. Some of the tools highlighted seem very user friendly. I can see myself using these tools, Diigo and Storify in particular, in my classroom or professionally in the future. I already use Pinterest, but that is mostly for recipe curating.
Wilson, M. C. (2018). Crowdsourcing and self-instruction: Turning the production of teaching materials into a learning objective. Journal of Political Science Education, 14(3), 400–408. https://doi.org/10.1080/15512169.2017.1415813
I had a hard time getting high schoolers to follow instructions on using multiple texts, I can't imagine the struggle of getting 5th graders! But as you stated, some of the tools you mentioned can help provide examples to students which will help a ton!
ReplyDeleteHaha, well, at least you know it starts in elementary, so it's not like they have never done it or had experience with it. In 5th I try to teach them to read the question FIRST, then take notes while they read. This works halfnthe time. 🤣
DeleteAs a former ELA teacher, I think this is such a brilliant way to promote understanding across texts. In Texas, the standard is, " students will synthesize information across multiple text," and it could be so cool to see it done in a small group activity. Like you said, I can't imagine trying to get an entire class of 5th graders to come to consensus, but I can definitely it working in a small group. And then those contributions that are hashed out in their small groups could be sorted into a cohesive whole. This class has made me miss teaching, because it would be really cool to try some of these things out.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely usually do this in a small group. There is a cool strategy called "Keep It or Junk It" that I found when I was taking my reading endorsement classes. It really helps guide the kids to focus on the relevant information.
DeleteI also use Diigo to organize some of the online resources I find. It's really effective to have a space and it's also great to collaborate and share my library! I love the way you use Pinterest. What's the last recipe that you've pinned? : )
ReplyDeleteI pinned this Bokchoy recipe to have along side my Miso Glazed Sea Bass! Soooooo delicious. Sea Bass is so expensive, but sometimes you just have to treat yourself. It's like butter, literally melts in your mouth.
DeleteSea Bass: https://jeanetteshealthyliving.com/miso-glazed-chilean-sea-bass/
Bokchoy:
https://jz-eats.com/baby-bok-choy-recipe/
Ohh you definitely know how to treat yourself! = ) Looks yummy!!!
Delete