NKAs - who knew?
I never think too deeply about my interactions online. I scroll, I like, I love, maybe I comment, rarely, I'll share - only if I can verify the validity of the content. Who knew I was really curating my own little knowledge bucket???
The one that got me, was Pinterest. After reading the articles about NKAs, I considered my use of Pinterest. When Pinterest first came out I spent HOURS scrolling and pinning. There was no rhyme or reason, I simply pinned, or collected, what I liked. You guys - I had ONE board called "Cooking". Really? ONE?
It did not take long for me to curate my cooking board and start sorting my pins into different boards: Drank, Eating Well, Low Carb, Ninja Foodi, Slow Cookin' for Sanity, etc. When I was moving into a place with my fiancé I started "Our Place" and invited my mom to collaborate...then I started "It's not a Wedding, It's a Party" - and invited multiple friends and family to help gather ideas for my celebration. As the article stated, Pinterest doesn't go much further than sharing when it comes to NKAs, but it was my Pinterest that helped my grasp the idea of NKAs.
If I think about all of the aspects of NKAs, I would say I most likely use all of them with online teaching resources, specifically creating lessons. The online resources I use, a lot of the time, come from other places. I spend the time collecting and curating them for a specific lesson. Then I share them with my teammates when we meet for collaborative planning. When planning we carefully go through the resources and negotiate what is appropriate, meaningful and rigorous enough for instruction. Finally we take what we deem useful and appropriate and construct a meaningful lesson. Sometimes, not all the time, we broker this information to other teams, at other schools.
Not sure about you, but I retain information better if I can apply it to my life in some way. In this case it was very easy to do with NKAs and the process of collaborative planning.
Where do you use NKAs in your life?
Dennen, V., Word, K., Adolfson, D., Arechavaleta, V., He, D., Hsu, C.-W., Hur, J., Jung, D., Kent, H., Russell, A., & Toth, K. (2020). Using the networked knowledge activities framework to examine learning on social networking sites. Proceedings of the International Conferences on ICT, Society and Human Beings (ICT 2020), Connected Smart Cities (CSC 2020) and Web Based Communities and Social Media (WBC 2020). https://doi.org/10.33965/ict_csc_wbc_2020_202008l020
Great, Great post. I'm surfing the blogs for the best NKA post and I think you're number one on the list so far, I'm going to nominate you for a badge.
ReplyDeleteI started a funny playlist to cheer someone up, and at first I just added ALL of the musicians that I knew were funny, and then maybe their most funny album. Then on my drives or free time, I listen to it on shuffle and I slowly delete tracks if they are not fitting to the humor... It's a large collection of songs, a slow curation process, and I'd really like to negotiate with others on what belongs on the playlist... maybe that'll be the evolution of it, as it's been recently started.
I'm interested in some of your cooking pinterests, will you ever do a post sharing them? Pinterest offers the opportunity to make super cute widgets!
https://developers.pinterest.com/tools/widget-builder/?type=board&boardHeight=240&boardWidth=400&imageWidth=80&template=square
TechMotivationMonday? lol
Thanks so much - I am really bad at nominating people. What is your strategy? To be honest I haven't looked at the badges in a couple weeks.
DeleteI just noticed a message from Spotify that said something to the effect of "curate a playlist for you and your friends" and had a get started button. I immediately thought of NKAs! I was like wow, it's everywhere. Kinda like when you buy a new car, then you see them everywhere lol.
I should play around with making a Pinterest post. It is my go to recipe curation, especially since going mostly pescatarian last year.
Thanks for the widget info. Lear something new everyday! I may just do that! If you want to see my boards, I'm @carterk75.